Light Duty Coiled Spring Pins
SPIROL invented the Coiled Spring Pin in 1948. Truly an engineered fasteners, the Coiled Pin is available in three duties, light, standard and heavy, to enable the designer to choose from the optimum combination of strength, flexibility and diameter to suit different host materials and application requirements. Their shock absorbing design dampens forces and vibration to prevent hole damage and prolong assembly life.
Light Duty Coiled Spring Pins are generally recommended for soft, brittle or thin materials such as plastics, aluminum, die castings, ceramics, and where holes are located close to an edge of the assembly. In situations not subjected to significant loads, such as when used purely for alignment or as an axle, light duty Coiled Pins are often used because of easy installation resulting from lower insertion force.
Application Engineering Assistance: If you would like assistance in selecting the proper diameter and duty Coiled Spring Pin for your assembly, please Request Technical Support! We are here to help!
Shop Our Light Duty Coiled Pins: For small quantities, click the Shop Now button below. For larger quantities or custom requests, please Request a Quote and one of our team members will get back to you quickly!
Metric Sizes - Light Duty
SPIROL's light duty metric Coiled Spring Pins conform to ISO 8751 and ASME B18.8.3M and range in diameter from 1.5mm up to 8mm. Light duty Coiled Pins are offered in high carbon steel, 302/304 nickel (austenitic) stainless steel and 420 chrome (martensitic) stainless steel.
Inch Sizes - Light Duty
SPIROL offers inch (imperial) light duty Coiled Spring Pins in diameters ranging from .062" (1/16) up to .312" (5/16). Standard materials include high carbon steel, 302/304 austenitic (nickel) stainless steel, and 420 martensitic (chrome) stainless steel. Light duty inch Coiled Pins conform to ASME B18.8.2.
If you are unable to find the light duty Coiled Spring Pin in the diameter, length, material, or finish that you require within our standard offering, or if you are unsure what Coiled Pin is most appropriate for your assembly, Request Technical Support from our team and we will help you find the most cost-effective solution for your application.
Installation Technology for Pins
In addition to a comprehensive line of engineered components used for joining and assembly, SPIROL also offers a full range of Pin Installation Equipment designed to facilitate cost-effective and high quality assembly of your products. Our installation solutions range from manual machines to fully automated work cells with statistical process control and error-proofing options. We are the only company of our kind that offers the total integrated solution.
Application Success Stories
Trigger Pin in Surgical Stapler
A leading medical device manufacturer approached SPIROL for assistance in designing a self-retaining trigger pin that eliminated cracking of the plastic yoke within the surgical stapler.
- SPIROL Engineers recommended a Light Duty Coiled Spring Pin which was designed specifically for plastic assemblies to ensure the perfect balance of strength and flexibility.
- Coiled Pins are easy to install and exert low stress on the hole after installation, yet they provide exceptional retention.
- In addition to recommending the most appropriate pin, SPIROL Engineers also recommended the hole sizes for each of the retaining locations to make sure that the assembly functioned properly over the life of the assembly.
- SPIROL’s Coiled Spring Pin eliminated the cracking of the plastic yoke, enhanced the function of the trigger, and improved the overall quality of the surgical stapler.
Hinge Pin in Plastic Protective Storage Case
A manufacturer of plastic protective cases required an alternative pin to replace two single-ended barbed Solid Pins that did not provide a reliable friction fit hinge and tended to walk out of the hole. These asymmetrical pins also could not be easily oriented for automatic feeding.
- SPIROL Engineers recommended light duty Coiled Spring Pins designed specifically for use in plastic assemblies.
- The enhanced flexibility of light duty Coiled Pins eases installation and exerts a constant radial force against the hole wall for superior retention.
- The spring characteristics of light duty Coiled Pins achieve exceptional performance and maintain the desired fit and function of the hinge throughout the life of the plastic protective storage case.
- Coiled Pins are symmetrical, have clean-cut square ends and do not interlock, thus they are conducive for automatic feeding and assembly.
Hinge Pin in Automotive Door Handle
A manufacturer of automotive latches was using a stacked Tubular Rivet as a hinge pin for the handle and pawl in an automotive door handle assembly. They approached SPIROL to help eliminate the BSR (buzz, squeak and rattle) that they were experiencing with the Tubular Rivet as any of these noises is unacceptable in the automotive industry. Staking the Rivet tighter resulted in cracked plastic, and looser resulted in increased buzzing and rattling.
- SPIROL's light duty Coiled Spring Pin is ideal for plastic assemblies because as it is inserted, the Coiled Pin flexes and conforms to the plastic hole. This protects the integrity of the plastic during insertion unlike other press-fit fasteners that are inflexible.
- Since the Coiled Pin is self-retaining, secondary operations for retention such as staking are not necessary. Removing the staking operation saves time and money, and eliminates the issue with the plastic cracking as a result of this operation.
- The spring-like action of the coils prevents component damage by absorbing all forces imparted onto the assembly.
- The low insertion force, square ends and absence of slots make light duty Coiled Pins easy to automatically feed and install.
Local Design, Global Supply.
SPIROL has Application Engineers throughout the world to assist you in your designs, supported by state-of-the-art manufacturing centers and worldwide stocking facilities to simplify the logistics of delivering your product.
Have a manufacturing issue you can't solve? Our engineering experts love a challenge. Recommending efficient solutions for your application requirements is what we do best. Give us a call or fill out the form below to connect with us!+1 860 774 8571