A leading manufacturer of hydraulic pumps required a method to permanently affix various sized gears to shafts. The gears were bronze, and the shafts were 400 series stainless steel. After press fitting the gears into position, they would drill a hole partially through the assembly, install a heavy duty SPIROL® Coiled Spring Pin, and stake the entrance point for maximum security. Prior to SPIROL's involvement, this process was done manually using 3 different stations. SPIROL offered to consolidate all operations into one complete installation machine. Since the customer offered many different gear/shaft assembly sizes, the machine needed to be versatile enough to accommodate the 11 existing assemblies, as well as be able to handle new variations as designed. Tooling changeover had to be quick and simple, with little to no machine adjustment. The cycle time had to be less than a minute, and drill bits were expected to last at least 500 cycles.
The SPIROL Model DP Drilling and Pinning Machine consists of a standard Model CR Pin Insertion machine, an automatic, production quality, high-precision drilling unit, and a precision air-powered linear slide unit to move the assemblies between the drill unit and installation/staking station. Machine features include:
- Recirculating flood coolant in the drilling operation for temperature control and chip removal
- Automatic clamping/part holding fixture unit
- Easily interchangeable tooling to accommodate 11 different assemblies
- Common drilling and pin insertion elevation between all assemblies
- Pin presence sensing to verify a pin was installed in the assembly
- Allen Bradley Panel View™ Human Machine Interface for programming and control of all machine functions
- Full perimeter guarding with safety interlocked sliding doors
- Heavy Duty SPIROL Machine Table with adjustable feet
SPIROL's solution provides a machine cycle time of 45 seconds, drill bits yield 600 plus parts, and tooling change-over takes less than 15 minutes between assemblies. This machine doubled the previous production output, and provided a payback of less than 12 months.
All SPIROL Standard Installation Machines can be similarly enhanced to meet the needs of your specific application.
Complimentary Applications Engineering Support: SPIROL Engineers will review your application needs and work with your design team to recommend the best solution.
Why Should You Partner with SPIROL?
Our core purpose is to be a resource that facilitates the reduction of your assembly costs, improves your product quality and enhances your overall competitiveness. In addition, SPIROL offers: